May 22, 2007

The wait is over, the trip is over, the longing, the waiting, the pining is over.
It was all worth it. Very worth it.
Over 16 hours of car rides later, I would do it all again. The show was AWESOME!
I was a little worried that it couldn't be amazing. No Kristin. No Idina. I mean hello?! Maureen from RENT? My favoritest show ever! They're some super talented people. I just didn't think it could be the same without them.
But it was. It was the BEST!

Saturday
6:30-Wake up call
7:00-We're on the road.
12:00-We're still on the road.
4:00-Yup, still on the road.
5:00-ish. We're finally there. Walking into the lobby of our hotel was like walking into Alabama, not Denver. We were the only white girls there. It was strange. (We found out later they were having a Mason conference that weekend. I didn't know there were so many black masons.)
6:00 to 11:00-Playtime. Explore Denver. Try not to get lost. We ended up in the scary, Mexican ghetto looking for the restaurant. Needless to say, we kept the doors locked.
We ate dinner at Casa Bonita. A very interesting Mexican/Rainforest/Western/Disneyland restaurant, complete with cliff divers. The food was not bad.
Then we made our way to downtown. Took the obligatory 1 Mile High photo at the Capitol Building. We had fun taking nighttime, Denver skyline photos. We also got a little risque posing on the cannons out front.
12:00-Chill in the hot tub. We met a big, burly black man from Maryland smoking a cigar and sipping his beer. He was really friendly.
12:30-We're out. Dead asleep.

Sunday
8:00-Breakfast at The Delectable Egg. I had stuffed French Toast and a strawberry smoothie. It was delish. (Thanks for the suggestion, Jake.)
9:00 to 2:00-More playtime. We tried to go shopping, only to realize that it was only 9:00 and none of the stores were open yet. We went to the theater where the show was going to be. Took some pictures standing in front of Wicked posters.
By that time, things were open. We found a great mall. Denver has way cooler stores than we do. Coach, Louis Vuitton, Saks Fifth Avenue, Crate and Barrell...We don't have anything like that here. I would move to Denver just for the malls.
2:00 to 4:00-Beautification. I felt very sexy in my high heels and black dress. It's fun to get dressed up.
4:00 to 6:00-Dinner time. My very first time eating at The Cheesecake Factory. My food was pretty good, but dessert was faabulous. Godiva chocolate cheesecake something. It was foodgasmic.
7:00-WICKED!!! The show was simply incredible. We thought we had kinda crappy seats, but they turned out to be great. The theater was pretty small so we were a lot closer than I thought we were going to be. Our view was unobstructed, and I could hear perfectly. I was so entertained. The music, the lighting, it was intense. I loved it.
(I'm still trying to de-guiltify myself for splurging on a $70 Wicked hoodie. But I love it, so I refuse to feel guilty.)
I don't remember what time we went to bed. It was just a blur of gushing about how much we loved the show and how we would love to see it again and how it was totally worth the long drive.

Monday
6:00-Wake up call.
6:30-Breakfast at The Delectable Egg. (Again.) This time I had huevos rancheros and another strawberry smoothie. It was delish. (Again.)
7:00-On the road again...(I could wait to be on the road again.)
8:00 to 4:00-Naptime. Intermittently, of course. We rolled in after a long trip, grateful to be home, but the whole thing was awesome. I loved every moment.

Needless to say, our trip was amazing. I hope I've made that clear.
Pictures soon to come. (I hope.)

3 comments:

Em said...

So glad you had a good time! Casa Bonita used to be my FAVORITE restaurant when my dad was in Vet school. (You know, when I was about 4 yers old...) So glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Sam! I am super jealous- I've been dying to see Wicked! Lucky you!! :)

Aubrey said...

we are indeed kindred spirits. this trip was bad ACE - -I'm thinking new york and a REAL broadway next time.