June 25, 2008

I want to buy a gun.

I have no idea why.

For some unknown reason, I want a gun. I want to learn how they work, I want to learn how to shoot them, I just want to know.
Maybe it's because I'm around all these officers all the time and guns are all they talk about.
Maybe it's because someone is going to break into my house and attack me one of these days and this is God's way of warning me.
Maybe my life is just boring and I need a new hobby.

I should have prefaced this by informing you all that I know nothing about guns. I know you pull the trigger and they shoot bullets. I know there are rifles and pistols and shotguns and probably other kinds too. I know guns can kill people very badly.
I've shot guns before. My Dad has a .22 and a shotgun. I've tried those out once or twice. But see, in those situations, I'm handed a loaded gun and told, "Ok, aim for that soda can and don't kill anyone."

I don't hunt.
I'm not a cop.
I don't have some revengeful vendetta against someone.
I just want one.

Ok, now that we've established that, let's get down to business.
Aubrey and I are considering taking a concealed firearms class. There's one coming up in July and we might sign up for it. I don't ever plan on shooting someone, but well, it's probably a good idea to be able to defend myself.

So, on to equipment. I've spent the last few nights talking to officers trying to get an idea of what kind of gun to buy. (Because, if you'll remember, I know nothing. We're starting from scratch here.)
There are just so many decisions! Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Beretta, Kahr, Walther...
(Are you impressed I know all these brands of guns? You should be.)

Well, after a few days discussion, I've settled on two that I might like.

Glock 23


or Kahr CW40


So, what do you think? Am I insane?
It's possible.

4 comments:

Jenny Dunn said...

Yes I think you're insane. Don't do it!

$teve said...

It's perfectly natural to want a gun. I've considered it (and may or may not have one within reaching distance of my bed) but that's because I live alone...and I don't wanna bring a sword to a gun fight. I've seen "The Last Samurai" once...and it was enough.

My suggestion - Have your dad show you how to use one, maybe squeeze off a few rounds in the mountains at the pop cans, and then make a decision. It sounds like it may just be an impulse purchase now...and guns are dangerous. They just are. I had a buddy clean one and...yeah, they're just not the best thing to have around all the time. Anyway, that's my two cents. You're not insane...just like the feel of power...and mase works just as good.

Cam said...

>>Am I insane? <<
Insane? Probably not.
Naive of the potential benefit/problem ratio? Probably.
I think every responsible adult should be allowed to carry and use a gun to defend themselves and their property and others. Boy would that ever cut down on crime...and criminals...and swell the ranks of lawyers! Problem is that there aren't that many responsible adults out there and it only takes one kook or hot head w/ a gun to ruin your day. It takes a lot of training and self control to be able to use a firearm in an emergency w/o making the situation worse. Look at all the cops that shoot people when some other kind of non-lethal response would be sufficient. Most people won't invest that much $ and time in training. When they do, they're considered to be "gun nuts".

Get a tazer instead...and don't use it while enjoying that inflatable pool in a parking lot. ;)

Anonymous said...

I had a Glock 23. Great gun. Guns are serious, but be rewarding and a lot of fun. The first time you squeeze one off, you're addicted.

Def try before you buy. The Glock 23 has some kick. A .38 or 9mm might be a little easier to handle.